Fellowship in International Emergency Medicine
Jay Brenner, MD
The Upstate International Emergency Medicine (IEM) Fellowship will prepare Emergency Medicine Residency-Trained physicians to serve in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) development, humanitarian relief, disaster management, public health, and travel & field medicine. A 1-year fellowship track will offer a Certificate in Advanced Studies in Public Health (CASPH), while a 2-year fellowship track will offer a Master of Public Health (MPH) from the Central New York Master of Public Health (CNYMPH) program, a joint venture of SUNY Upstate Medical University and Syracuse University.
The IEM fellow will do the following:
- Spend up to 6 months at the Kerala Institute of Medical Sciences in Kerala, India helping to develop their EMS system
- Take the Health Emergencies in Large Populations (HELP) course, administered through the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD.
- Participate in training and deployment on the Disaster and Medical Assistance Team (DMAT) for NY-6 in Syracuse.
- Earn either the CASPH or MPH from CNYMPH
- Take the Disease Control in Humanitarian Emergencies (DCE) course administered by the World Health Organization (WHO) at the International Rescue Mission in New York.
The IEM fellow will design and complete a research project leading to a manuscript submitted to a peer-reviewed journal.
The IEM Fellow will do the following:
- Work as an attending physician at Upstate University Hospital, a level 1 trauma center with greater than 60,000 annual emergency department visits.
- Give at least one didactic lecture to the 33 Emergency Medicine residents.
- Supervise the Emergency Medicine Resident elective in St. Lucia.
- Current CV
- Three letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Graduate of US Emergency Medicine Residency
- NYS medical license
To initiate the application process, please send a current CV and a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org or send by mail to:
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Department of Emergency Medicine
International Emergency Medicine Fellowship
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Attn: Cindie Sidari