Chairs should have a number of adjustments that allow users to customize the fit and promote good sitting posture. This becomes more important for those individuals who sit for a large portion of the day. Here is a summary of important task chair features:
- Chairs should offer pneumatic seat height adjustment.
- The seat pan depth should be adjustable and have minimum contouring.
- Chairs should have a five-star base and be able to swivel.
- Armrests are generally not needed for most tasks, and should not be leaned on when working. If armrests are desired, they should be fully adjustable.
- The backrest should be height adjustable, independent of the seat pan, and have a locking tilt adjustment and/or rocking mechanism.
- Appropriate casters for carpet or linoleum surfaces should be considered.
- The chair should be easily adjusted while the user is seated.
Recommended task chairs are provided by the Upstate Ergonomics Program. It is highly recommended to use a chair for a trial period to determine if it will meet your needs. Ask your furniture vendor for assistance with task chair samples. A list of task chair seating is provided below:
- Ergonomic office supply products are available for purchase through Gholkar's.
- Ergonomic extension handle for reception windows (we recommend the 9'' handle)