- To increase access to stroke/trauma care in rural areas and communities in the Central New York Region
- To expand the market in which Upstate Medical University is able to provide care. Close the gap between expert medical care and location
- To maximize utilization of telemedicine services in partnering hospitals
- To assist community hospitals in achieving primary stroke center designation
“We have come to think of this program as stroke care without borders,” said Jennifer Schleier, program manager of Upstate’s Comprehensive Stroke Center. “It is our mission to close the gap between expert medical care and location of the patient, increase access to stroke treatments in rural communities, and to provide educational opportunities to any of our referring hospitals regarding stroke care.”
Via teleconferencing equipment, Upstate’s Board certified Stroke physicians have instant access to the Emergency Department’s of partnering regional hospitals. Using interactive computer videoconferencing via a secure internet network, the Upstate Neurologist and the patient, family and healthcare provider at the outlying hospital hear and see each other in real time. In addition to the telemedicine technology, which allows the patient to see the consulting Neurologist, the entire team of Upstate specialists are able to view CT scan images. This advanced technology enables physicians at Upstate to become virtual “on-site” consultants for outlying hospitals who do not have neurologists on staff. Please see the map of participating hospitals here.
- Provide immediate access to stroke care experts
- Provide prompt medical evaluation and accurate diagnosis of stroke
- Initiate timely tPA treatment to improve outcomes and reduce risks and complications from a stroke
- Provide 24/7 access to specially-trained neurologists and neurosurgeons specializing in stroke care
- Provide Access to catheter-based stroke treatment including interarterial thrombolysis, stenting and clot retrieval devices
- The stroke telemedicine initiative also includes a comprehensive education program for medical staff, nursing staff, ancillary personnel, and pre-hospital care providers.